Thursday, March 09, 2006

Chapstick Addiction

I am trying to beat my addiction to lip balm. Unfortunately my lips like to peel like dry onions and only the compulsive reapplication of Blistex Herbal can sooth my desire to bite the dead flesh off mouth.

Blistex Herbal is exactly like Aveda Lip Saver which runs $15 a tube. However it still costs about 2 bucks (and I believe is unnecessary). There are cheaper lip balms out there but unlike shampoos, the manufacturers do a bang-up job making their low-end products waxy and unappealing. Generic ChapStick is vile.

There's two kinds of things people put on their lips and contrary to popular belief neither actually help with chapped lips. There's the medicated cold sore stuff like blistex and carmex-- this actually eats away at healthy lips because it's for eating away cold sores and raw dead skin. If you have chapped lips from skiing you'd probably want this. Then there's lip balms which are just moisturizer that helps your lips not feel like sandpaper. It takes care of the symptoms but not the cause.

The cause for chapped lips for most people is ..... Lip-licking. The saliva dries on the skin and causes it to peel and flake. It becomes a viscous cycle because many people think that licking helps, or at least soothes. I'm making a conscious effort not to wet my lips and it's surprising to note how much I actually do it, especially when I'm thinking away at something.

But I'm determined damn it. My lips, probably like the rest of my face, were not meant to be constantly moist and juicy. In the mean time I'm trying not to lick and weaning myself off my (hopefully last) tube of Blistex. After that experts recommend Vaseline because it doesn't dry as quickly.

Everything you wanted to know about (yet another) Cosmetics Industry Conspiracy:

http://www.kevdo.com/lipbalm/

3 Comments:

Blogger mapgirl said...

I like Chapstick with SPF15 and lip moisturizers. It has a royal blue label. The plain one with a black label smells weird. If not Chapstick, then Aquaphor with is Vaseline with stuff in it. (Left over tub from a burn scar.)

If it really bugs you, try finding a going out of business sale and buy it for cheap. I picked up about 30 from a KMart going out of business a few years ago. I still have some stuck in my purses and jackets everywhere. I used to give them out to friends on camping trips in the desert where it's a must.

2:26 PM

 
Blogger Mike said...

Well you've got to have the SPF. And yes moisturizers are good too.

Now to find a business that's closing etc...

5:51 PM

 
Blogger JavaJive said...

Nice post. Gotta try to kick that addiction, man.

Chaptastic.com.

1:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home