Monday, February 27, 2006

Personal Electronics: The Cel Phone

I have a love hate relationship with cel phones. I have a general distaste for most personal electronics, however I also understand the value of having one. I find them rude in public places and they add a new way for life to interrupt you away from home. I know some people who live and die by their phones and they always seem frantic-- constantly juggling tasks and conversations.

It seems anti-simplicity... in most cases anyway.

The main times I want to have a cel phone is if my car breaks down, if i get lost, if I'm meeting someone in a large public place or if i travel and don't want to pay 6.00 to make a call from the hotel phone. This all adds up to about 12 minutes or so a month.

Virgin Mobile offers a no contract, prepaid by-the-minute plan. The phone cost me 25 bucks. There's probably better rates out there but for 20$ every three months (you have to top up quarterly to keep active) I can maintain a cel phone for the above situations. I keep it in my car, so it charges whenever I drive and I always have it with me, without having to carry it.

That way it's a useful tool but doesn't take over my life or make me waste money on monthly minutes I never use.

Also for those who missed the weekend posts your better than lottery chances of winning a trip to Vegas are at http://www.subnixus.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home