Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Philosophy of Money

Since this blog is new I figured I'd lay a foundation of explaining, in part, my philosophy behind money and spending.

First, I don't believe that money can buy happiness. Being dirt-poor can almost guarantee misery, but simply having a high net worth does not give a person the capacity to enjoy their life. I think this is common knowledge, but then I see people acting like money is the answer to their deepest dissatisfactions.

Second, I strive to be a minimalist. There is nothing that I own that I don't use or that doesn't serve some needed function. I can fit most of my possessions into one room if I had to. This cuts down on clutter, cuts moving time and I can find anything in less than 5 minutes. Some people see it as having nothing, but I see it as being surrounded by the things I love the most.

That's not to say that I don't go and blow some money on clubbing, comic books or clothing (my 3 C's). But the overhead on my necessary expenses is so low that I don't have to worry about it. Sure, I keep careful account in Quicken but whenever I spend money it is with the certain knowledge that I can afford it.

Thirdly, not worrying about money is one of the things I equate with true wealth. Fortunately it can be achieved relatively early on in the game. So while microeconomics fascinates me and I love entering my receipts in Quicken-- I never worry about the money.

Finally, whatever I have left over, I throw in savings and forget about. I've got enough right now to last me three months if I lose my job or if I decide to quit. With the security and sense of independence that buys me I think the best thing I could ever spend my money on is nothing at all.

Ultimately I aim to be happy and to enjoy the time I have. Money is incidental to happiness but integral to living. I think the best thing is to care little for wealth but to have it anyway. You know, just in case.

1 Comments:

Blogger Frank said...

Hi Mike,
I see that you've linked to my blog, so thanks :). I think your blog is going to be an interesting one. Keep it up, looking forward to reading more.

7:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home