Wednesday, March 22, 2006

300$ for a Computer Upgrade

I got a call last night saying there were suspicious purchases on my credit card. I guess I don't shop online too much. The 300$ charge from newegg.com is valid. Yesterday marked the much anticipated release of Elder Scrolls IV, a follow up to the 2003 game of the year. As touted by everyone the graphics, even on the lowest setting, were spectacular. My PC, however was ground to a halt.

My CPU is a decent 2 gigs; my RAM an ungodly 2 gigs; but my video card is a 5600 and I still use AGP. Translation: It's not a bad system , except for the ancient fossil from 2003 that my monitor plugs into.

Without a moment's hesitation, I jumped on newegg.com and bought the first Nvidia graphics card I could find for 300$. I couldn't even tell you what it was exactly other than it's a GEForce 7800 with 256 RAM. Three day delivery was free.

I've never bought from Newegg before and normally I like to comparison shop with something like Pricewatch But since I don't know a lot about the new video cards that are out I'm not sure exactly what I want. Newegg has good sales, of mouth reputation and users with high technical proficiency rate the hardware. (According to Pricewatch, I still couldn't have found a better AGP card for less).

My computer is one area where I don't mind spending money, because I spend so much time using it.

[NOTE: I'm glad I posted about this because I suddenly realized while writing that I ordered the wrong thing. Canceling online was easy and I picked something else that's even better for the same price.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home