Monday, March 20, 2006

Energy Saving Lightbulbs: First Impressions

I bought the energy saving compact florescent light bulbs and I have to say I'm not entirely happy with how they look. I use full spectrum light bulbs normally because they balance the yellowishness of incandescents. The environmentally friendly fluorescents seem even more yellow to me. Still, I think I can find places for them in the apartment. The bathrooms, laundry rooms and closets are not areas where I'm particularly concerned about the quality of light.

I've put off on getting the energy saving bulbs because I wasn't ready to replace all of the light fixtures. Plus my roommate refuses to give up full spectrum. Still, having them in three locations will save some money. To quote one site: "If every American home changed out just 5 high-use light fixtures or the bulbs in them with ones that have earned the ENERGY STAR, each family would save more than $60 every year in energy costs" So at 5$ a bulb I'd be looking at a savings of $5 this year (plus free 5 year lightbulbs that I won't have to change) and 20$ next year. Still not bad.

Our apartment is all electric and the AC bills add up-- as does the heat from my light and computer in my bedroom. My Summer resolution is to keep costs down.

2 Comments:

Blogger mapgirl said...

I've only had one problem with fluoro bulbs. They don't fit the domes of my overhead lights. I leave the cover off of one of them, but on the other one, I don't like looking up at the fan to get blinded by the light with no cover. It's frustrating. I want to save more money, but *can't*.

For small lamps where the lampshade fits on the bulb, these spiral shaped bulbs don't work. Bummer. If only they could get them to be the exact same form factor as regular bulbs, I'd be super happy.

2:06 PM

 
Blogger Mike said...

My bedside lamp would never hold one of those either.

I have a couple of low wattage ones plugged in above my bathroom mirror-- it doesn't bother me too much but it's not as easy on the eye as the crystal clear ones I had before.

5:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home