Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Use Everything in A Month or Throw it Away

My roommate is a recovering crapaholic. Recently she was fascinated by an article about someone who lived in a very small space and got by on throwing away anything he didn't use in a month. At first that sounded pretty hardcore but on reflection I'm very close to that, without really having any rules about it. Almost 90% of everything I own gets used within 30 days with a few exceptions.

Clothing: Obviously formal wear and seasonal attire gets stored. I'm also not entirely religious about throwing out my old daily clothes. I probably need to.

Computer Parts: When I was getting my certifications I became an old technology packrat. I had three boxes running on my network, two of them junk ones I fixed up. I've gotten rid of my ISA slotted motherboards and serial port mice but I do keep a machine up in my closet in case my current system breaks down. I use the internet for everything and having backup parts onhand is essential.

Hair Care and Medicine Cabinet: This is a mess, I admit. I could subsist on leftover hair care products till 2010 and that's exactly what I plan to do. I've also got some perfectly good skin care stuff I forget to use and fully intend to... One day. Maybe.

Books: I've actually gotten rid of my bookshelf and put them in a storage closet. I never re read books unless they're reference books. When I need to look up facts I use the internet. I'll probably sell these on Amazon.

Drawing Table: I got it with the best intentions but I never use it. It was a gift and I really wanted to get back into art. I'll sit and doodle at it occasionally. I wouldn't consider getting rid of it though because my interest seems to be perennial.

That's about it. But all of my possessions could actually fit in my bedroom, if I had to live in that kind of space (which I don't- my apartment is about 1,100 sq ft). This is nothing I directly aspired to. In fact, it's probably one of my most undisciplined behaviors. I have a really easy time letting go of things and not a lot of interest in having to take care of it.

Plus I hate the feeling of being tied down by stuff.

1 Comments:

Blogger . said...

Hi Mike, thanks for stopping by my blog. I love this post! I, too, have a hard time holding on to "stuff." I'm much more apt to toss things before I realize that I actually needed it after all. When I got rid of all my books except for about a dozen favorites, it was an especially freeing experience. I sold a few on half.com, and the rest went to Goodwill.

I've added a link to your blog on my site. I look forward to your future posts!

2:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home