Friday, March 10, 2006

Optimizing the Everyday Wardrobe

Clothing is an area where it's difficult to find a balance between frugality and fashion. Obviously a canvas sack, or the more comfortable nylon version, is the cheapest solution, (second to wearing leaves). But we live in a society that where that is not readily accepted. So I try to live by the following principles when it comes to clothes buying:

I never buy designer, even if it's on sale. 50% off a $120 shirt is still too much. Target and H&M are the only places I shop lately. Both offer (close enough to) designer quality clothing while being friendly to the 20$ price point. The clothes fit me well without being too baggy. I try not to pay more than 30 for pants, 40 for a sweater and 20 for a shirt.

I try to buy stuff that will stand the test of time aesthetically. Some trends have more longevity than others. I watch what real people are actually wearing rather than what's in magazines.

I will ruin clothes. No matter what my intentions I always end up spilling staining, ripping or in some way destroying garments. Dark and multicolored garments hide residual discoloration better. Black is good but tends to fade noticably so I stick with mid range colors that will look okay a little lighter. As much as I like to wear white, I can't buy it.

I machine wash everything cold. Moreover I try not to have to wash clothes at all. Laundry and drying will destroy the fabric more than daily wear; so if a shirt isn't dirty or stinky I say hang it back up.

Never buy clothes that mix materials. Blended fabrics are fine, but sometimes designers add trim or details that use different types or blends of fabric than the article itself. As the materials react differently to washing the clothes may pucker. Athletic apparel is really bad about this.

In answer to a question posed on Frugal for Life about the longevity of clothing, I generally aim for 2-3 years of wear out of my clothes before they start to fade, get stained or no longer look fashionable. But if they still hold together I'll use them for laying around the house for another three years. Having beat up old shirts saves wear and tear on my new stuff.

My closet is organized by use. All clothes that get washed are hung on the right side of the closet. When it comes time to donate stuff, I know that everything on the left hasn't been worn in a while.

Supplement: What You Pay for When You Buy Designer

While I'm no fashion expert, here are general reasons why high end stuff costs so much. Couture: You pay for the privilege of wearing it first. The more designers who make something like it, and the more widely available it is, the cheaper it becomes. Brand: It says Polo, Hilfiger, Timberland, Gucci...That alone justifies a 300% markup. Quality and Material: Some high fashion stuff is extremely well made so it will last quite a while, as well as feel smoother than garments with lower thread counts. Cut and Fit: Higher end stuff usually hangs more naturally, is less likely to be baggy and flatters the figure.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

That's about the same routine I use. 3-5 years for a shirt. But I still wear it around the house, even with smal holes in it. Once I can put my thumb through it. It goes in the rag bin.

6:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home