Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Eating Out

I'm lucky in a lot of ways to have the friends that I do. One of them is extremely well off and is one of those people to whom money is no object when it comes to food or travel. Hanging out is pretty fun-- we go eat different places, give reviews of the food, sample wines and all sorts of things most people in my income bracket could only dream of doing.

In fact we eat out so much that we often get mistaken for industry professionals or food critics. Of the two of us, I'm definitely the hardest to please... And a large part of that is that I still factor cost into my calculations. While I'm usually not footing the bill I always keep in the back of my mind if I want to come back for a date or recommend the place to another friend.

There are some expensive places that are worth the price and there are many more that are simply in the business of renting out space in their trendy dining area. Last night I had dinner at a fairly good place, but the entrees were around 24 and up to 27. If they had been around 18 I'd probably say it was an awesome deal; however, I can think of three other restaurants that offer the same general quality and style of food for the same price or less.

A good meal should definitely feel worth the price afterwards; but a mediocre or disappointing one is one of the worst things to have to spend money on because you will have nothing left to show for it except for possibly increased body fat.

The most expensive place I've ever eaten was London's infamous Library at Sketch during a bad time for exchange rates. The meal, consisting of a three course mini-tasting and wine with no appetizers or dessert, was $200. That's outrageous, even for London's Michelin Star restaurants. It was flawless but at that price, all the food could do was meet expectations. Even my friend had sticker shock from that one.

It's worth it to do your research before going to a restaurant. If it's been a while since you ate there, make sure it's still the same chef. Read recent online reviews-- Gayot.com is where I go for all my reviews and it's updated regularly. Many places are finally starting to put menus online.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home